Originally Posted by mopar dave
Yes, I have a friend that feels I should run more spring pressure. Not that it matters, but he is a Hemi guy, Jim Keys wrench who maintains Jims 68 Hemi cuda super stock car. He has his own factory stock car he runs as well. He runs much more spring pressure on his SFT cams and they live. I just do not want to flatten a cam in this engine.

Does he have a good quality spring tester?

It’s really quite simple.
There is either a valvetrain control problem...... or there isn’t.

If there is, you need more spring load, or a different spring altogether....... or lower the engines operating range so you’re not running the motor in the range where the loss of control is occurring.
If there isn’t a control problem, you have other issues(or the combo just doesn’t work that well).

Obviously, the best way to determine exactly what’s going on is to dyno the motor.
That answers (at least) two questions.
It will show whether or not there is a valvetrain control issue that’s keeping the motor from realizing it’s potential...... and whether or not it makes enough power to achieve the desired goal as is....... or if more power is needed to get there.

I’ve tested many motors........ after the owners had spent thousands and thousands of dollars trying to get their car to run a number that the motor didn’t make enough power to achieve.
In most of those cases........ the car was going as quick as it “should”.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads