Originally Posted by Bennoel 10
where do I start as I thought everything was covered. So here I go.... rebuilt 340 (stock),new rad with new clutch fan and shroud, new water pump, new heater core everything new as this was a rotisserie restoration. however the engine temperature gets very high. I have put 1000 miles on the car and it always runs very hot. over 200 degrees with a 160 thermostat. I noticed that the lower rad hose was cold when the temp. gauge read hot. the upper rad hose along with the heater hoses were hot. this lead me to believe that there was no circulation of coolant. pulled the rad, water pump, thermostat. everything checked out fine. the only thing that I found was the block wasn't cleaned out properly. quite a bit of sludge. found this out as a result of one of the freeze plugs rotted through. (engine shop closed down) Now I am wondering if this is my problem as I have lost confidence in the engine build. could the head gaskets be the problem?? maybe upside down causing blockage?? Not looking foreword to pulling the engine out. Any suggestions, similar problems??? Thankyou Moparts forum members.

Bennoel

Do you know "for sure" it is running hot, or does the gauge says it's running hot. Is it steaming, is it pukeing? I had a "heating" problem on my 1st Gen 392. After much checking, re checking, doing and re-doing. I installed an after market temp gauge. ZAP,,,,, gauge problem, not heating ptoblem.

K.I.S.S.