Originally Posted by MoonshineMattK
What are the shortcomings of an Indy block? Other than what I've heard about dealing with the people at Indy
I've read about oiling issues. Is there anything else?

It's worse than you can imagine. Things you didn't even know were possible. It's been a few years since I did mine but I will try to remember some of the problems for you. I bought mine through Bob George. Great guy to deal with.

I've been working on 426 Hemi's since 1973 so this wasn't my first rodeo.

I bought the Indy head stud kit with the block. It came with bolts to go in the inside valley where the stock Hemi uses studs. No torque specs for that. So I called Russ. He said just tighten them up with a wrench. Such good info! The sleeves weren't flush with the decks so the block had to be surfaced.

So we finally get it in the car. The headers won't fit. The block is too wide. Why would somebody make the block wider? KB's have been making thousands of horsepower for 40 years but Indy thinks they need to make their block wider. Smart guys. So after taking the brand new coated TTI headers off and on 5 times and hammering on the tubes, and grinding on the main cap side bolts, I finally got them to fit. At the same time I am trying to put the starter on. No, a starter won't fit an Indy block. So I try a small Meziere starter. No, it won't fit. So I try a Mopar mini. No, it won't fit either. So I start grinding on the new Indy block. I don't want to just hog out 1/2" of material. So I take it off and on more than 5 times grinding and fitting. Cussing Indy every step of the way. If these people are going to make a block, a starter should bolt to it. Now we are ready to crank it up.

After I started it up it ran out of oil pressure after 45 seconds. At the same time oil was gushing out around the lower valve cover studs. If you have been starting 426 Hemi's for over 40 years you would know this is impossible. Isn't it? So at this point there was no alternative other than to pull the motor out of the car, find out what is wrong, and fix it.

After much phone help from Todd Marsh and Ray Barton we devised a plan to fix this thing.

The oil gushing out from the valve cover studs was because Indy drills too small of drain back holes in the block so the oil can't drain out of the heads fast enough and just piles up in the heads. Why does Russ think he is smarter than the Chrysler engineers? Russ may know wedges but my granddaughters wouldn't make a stupid mistake like that. The fix for this is to drill the block out to stock size Hemi (3/8") and then the oil will drain back. Duh. Another reason the pan ran out of oil is because there really isn't a way for oil to get out of the lifter valley, so I had to drill holes in the valley and a hole in the front china wall for oil drainback. And then put it all back together and put it in the car again.

There were more problems but I have carpel tunnel. It is painful to type. I'm not here to bash Indy, but you asked for information so I thought I should convey my experience.

If you buy an Indy block your family members should place you on suicide watch. Things will go thru your mind.

2011 Drag Pak Challenger