Originally Posted by Grizzly
From a Metal Worker/Welders' point of view what Backyard Tony is saying is not entirely wrong. I'm not defending this guy, He has some funny ideas and most of them I question, but, I am willing to listen to Him. If a current Chrysler Engineer or Metalurgist could counter this subject I would really like to hear it.

As I see it, the 4 torque boxes installed at the factory would have taken more time and cost more to install than a simple one-piece frame connector. Period. None of you have commented on how thick the rocker metal is or the fact that it actually is a frame for the car? A T-boned Chrysler Product shows how much strength/metal is in this area. Obviously Chrysler knew what they were doing plus, they were years ahead on Unibody construction than anyone else. I've taken a long hard look at my E-Bodies' torque boxes and I can still slightly justify putting frame connectors that weld to the floor pans and rails, but I will be making my own because I see a flaw in the currently offered design. I want a super-rigid car and know how to get it. smirk

The old rectangular tubing stuff that was bolted or welded in, I would not wast my time with.

At any rate, look under a new Mustang or Challenger to see what they do their Unibodies. Look at the '70 TransAm T/A, AAR race series cars? Works for them obviously. twocents

Not clear to me the point you are making above. Care to expound.

I can agree on a couple of your other points, guy is NOT entirely wrong, its his conclusions he makes from those correct points is my issue, such as, making the car too stiff was frowned on by Mopar because it would effectively tear itself apart at the spot welds thinking.. rolleyes

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.