Originally Posted by Don D
Originally Posted by 6bblgt
this Challenger R/T is ~6000 assigned VINs after the "LAST hemi'cuda" - you would need the broadcast sheet for each car to see when they were on the assembly line.

biggrin so, is the broadcast sheet available for this Challenger R/T?

they were not all built on the fender tag's SPD "SCHEDULED Production Date" or in VIN sequence order, my Challenger R/T was built ~14000 cars "LATE"

This may be an interesting story to some but I believe I owned for a brief time the last hemi challenger built. I will give you the details from a car I bought in the mid 80s from the original owner.

The owner was a recluse high school dropout in west Los Angeles. He lived next to my high school and the car was always in the garage or if he took it out it was just for a race (high stakes) as he lost his license driving to a job at Mattel. It got raced on a few wednesday nights as it had a stack of mid 12 sec time slips in the glove box. Had 17k miles on it. Mint shape.

About the car..
Light blue metallic, blue interior. 4sp
Stock except cam changed to a racer brown, original went flat and headers
Options:
Shaker hood delete, I found 426 emblems in the inner rear fender wells
Standard hubcaps no rally wheels
4:56 gears
AM radio with 8 track you could record memos on
Had fire extinguisher, not sure if it was factory

Why I believe this may be the last
The owner ordered and prepaid for it in early 1971. They came back after a long delay and told him production was finished for hemi cars in june, 1971. His dad was a high powered lawyer and sent letters to Dodge management that he would sue them if they didn't produce the car. They listened and from the documentation I read they produced this car out of sequence after the production run was finished. I don't recall the number the car was but this documentation would indicate this to be the last for sure. Back in the day I sold the car to a collector and then he sold it to another Otis Chandler owner, at the time, of the LA Times.

Wonder where it is today?

I remember it from Chandler’s collection. I have pics of it somewhere.

Someone should have a fender tag info for it.

I believe there are other 71 Hemi stories like this.... ordering a car and waiting way late in the production year to get it. and salesman telling them it was not available.

I wonder if Troy from W. LA remembers this car. Did the guy have other cars?