Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
At this point, the only thing that makes any sense to me is to have the EQ heads repaired, put them back on...... put the motor back in.

Should be able to read what’s going on with the sensors, etc, in real time with a scan tool..... right?

If things look amiss, try the other computer.

I really don’t ever work on computerized engines at all, but I seem to remember having a conversation with someone once about breaking in a new motor in a car with cats, and they were saying how running at a high idle without the car moving and having air running around the cat that they can overheat and fail.
I don’t know if this is true or not....... but perhaps there’s some truth in it, and your two night garage run in sessions compromised the cat from the start.

I hadn't heard that about frying a cat, you could be right.... don't know. but it wasn't glowing until after that 3-1/2 miles that I attempted to drive the thing.

the EQ heads were in the machine shop with that intention, as you say to do, before I came here to post.... the EQ heads are going onto the 136K mile engine, that I recently got off of CL. and THAT engine is going in, just using the shortblock, the rest is brand new parts that I had already replaced on the original rebuild. and the intake off the CL engine had a bit more erosion around the water ports than I feel comfortable with (probably would have been fine) the best of the 6 or so stock intakes that I have here collecting dust, is going on in its place. The water pump, hoses, and tuneup parts were all brand new, so those are staying on the truck.
and yeah just like last time it will have the scanner connected before I hit the key for the 1st time when it goes back together.
and yes, I seriously thought about going with a different intake and a 4 barrel Edelbrock carb on this thing. do away with the damn computer.

I do have a couple of small mods I'd like to do on this thing, (that I'd figured on originally, after it was broken in) but not until I make sure all runs as intended in stock form, 1st.
Nothing serious, just a set of stainless shorty headers, a set of 1.7 roller rockers, and maybe a slight tune..... not sure on that last part....
I want to initially run this thing without a cat, til I make sure that it won't kill the next one... they aint cheap. I forget what I paid for the one that died, but as I remember it was a Magnaflow.

can anyone tell me what the computer was seeing, that would have caused it to dump so much fuel? (IF it wasn't because the computer is also FUBAR) and why it was only the cylinders "as the block is numbered" including and after the one that bent the pushrod and bent the valve, and not the 3 ahead of it?

Last edited by volaredon; 07/18/19 09:58 PM.