Hey all,

I recently upgraded from my big valve 906's to some Promaxx big block aluminum heads. I upgraded to a set of Comp beehive springs and the appropriate locks and retainers. I also upgraded my Distributor cap to a HEI style terminal type. Along with new plug wires and rotor. I also made the distributor shaft "collar" mod to help stabilize my timing. I jetted my carb (Holley850dp annular booster) up 4 sizes on both sides anticipating the better airflow.

Now, to my issue, when I take it out to romp on it, it pulls hard to about 4k and kinda just holds there.. no misfire, so surging, it does not fall on its face like its fuel starvation, I've already crossed that bridge (while running my 906's) and upgraded to 3/8" line from the pickup forward and I run a QFT 120 GPH mechanical pump.

I verified my fuel pressure does not drop below 6 psi at any time, I ran a gauge up to my windshield. Cranking pressure is 155-160 psi on all cylinders. My timing is set at 37° all in by 1600 rpm. No vacuum advance. I tried 34° first ,but 37° feels better. I am getting full throttle, both sets of butterflies open completely with the pedal depressed. The plugs do look pretty lean, I may need to step up another 4 sizes. Also, that annular carb had 82's on the primary side and 78's on the secondary side when I bought it. Does that sound right? Either way, it ran great with my 906's on there. There is still a power valve on the secondary side. I did adjust the secondary float level too while I had the intake and carb off, because it used to flood from time to time. When I drained the secondary float bowl to remove the intake I noticed some small flecks of aluminum in the fuel, I suspect from cutting the new hard lines I had Installed. I checked the float adjustment after taking it for the first test drive and it looks ok.. just a tiny dribble out the sight hole while the car is idiling.

I took two different people with me for test drives, both say it pulls like a "freight train".. but it should definitely RPM better in my opinion.
Any ideas or input is appreciated. I'm pretty stumped..

Last edited by Torquemonster440; 06/27/19 03:39 PM.

1966 Satellie.. 12.55 @107.75. 906 heads. 3780 lbs.