Originally Posted by Evil Spirit
I've seen bearing "kits" with 2 cones, 2 tapered roller bearings, and a spacer that appears to be sized the cones diameter.

I also see kits with the same 2 cones, 2 bearings, and a spacer that is wider and the size of the bearings inner race. [As far as I know there is only one style bearing,cup,spacer.]

I guess dis-assembly will tell me what kit to buy.

Looks to me that these a basically the original "unit bearings", where a housing, bearings, and hub are installed as a unit. [No these never were a unitized bearing. all components]

The way I see this - install the bearings, cones, spacer and seal in the (bolt on) housing, press the axle flange hub/rotor into it, and bolt the assembly on, accessing the bolts thru the extra hole in the hub/rotor. I see premium synthetic grease being our best friend here. LOL [ You are on the right path. Put a new seal in the retainer and install it into the hub. Then press one bearing in place, then cup, spacer, cup and press the other bearing on. There is another 3 piece seal on the axle. That's another subject all on its own. Thin bead of rtv silicone around the knuckle where the retainer fits, install assembly grease fitting facing foreward 3-ocolck right 9-oclock left. Tighten the retainer bolts cris-cross to maybe 30 foot pounds ant torque the axle nut to maybe 150 foot pounds do not back the nut off tighten to the next hole. verify the torque specs I just gave you]

I can see that keeping a close eye on brake pads is a must, to avoid pulling this cluster apart for rotor service. [WELCOME TO Dodges wheel bearing nightmare]

Thanks for the info. Willie