Originally Posted by buildanother
Most folks did not know of the grease fittings in bearing retainer so they jut ran em until they became a problem. They were at 9 or 3 clock position through rotor when factory installed. The ones I recall servicing came in a matched set with spacer for the 2 bearings and all. All still available separately, but matched sets had 2 bearings, 2 cones and spacer.

Yep. that is the way all 3 of my boss' Dodges were, as well as all my 75 to about 81 or 82, unless you got the factory hub that locked and unlocked (not the aftermarket kit). Those had different bearing set ups. I believe all those years of running my Dodge 4x4 trucks, I remember replacing the bearings on one truck I bought used and abused. I also installed the matching bearing sets.

I had a buddy that was a Chevy guy, but for some reason, he always rand Dodge 4x4 trucks. He really had a dislike for the Dodge bearing set up. He always installed the lock out hub set up from the 3/4 ton Chevy trucks on the Dodges when the bearing toasted out. I don't know what was involved with the process, but he sure swapped them out pretty quickly, always said it was cheaper then the Dodge bearings. I'm not sure I believed him though. Gene