Originally Posted by minnesota guy
Mopar guys--Read up on an Oil blog/site by "540ratguy" Need for a lot of Zinc is a myth. He tested 230 oils and keeps doing tests based on their PSI. He ranks them. The best of the hot rod oils is Joe GIbbs, but only a moderate performer. He is a chevy guy, ugghh, but after taking out 2 cams breaking them in a couple years ago, I went searching. He has 2 sites. One is blogging with questions for him and the other is more details on the ranked oils, zinc discussions, etc...There are 3-4 oils I will ever run now. Mobil 1 0w-40....QS 5w-30 Full synthetic...Amsoil 5w-30 Signature series (the best oil by far he has ever tested today..years ago they were mid pack)……..and other is Valvoline High mileage Full Synthetic 5w-30...…………Most likely never take a cam out with these oils and you do not need to use break in oil first (a crock) or add any zinc....
He shows tests on plenty of oils where break in zinc has been added and ruined the chemistry and wear protection of the oil. He saw 5w-30 oil is all you ever need as long as you have HI-volume oil pump. His testing shows oil runs cooler, does more lubricating and getting back to pan faster.
-He is not sponsored by any oil company.

It is a good read and you make up your own minds! I am breaking in my 493 6 pack FAST motor right now with M-1 0w-40 (it ranked top 5 oils or so on psi testing) and then I am switching to Amsoil Signature series 5w-30 as it ranked #1 by far against any oil...I have never used Amsoil before or even untwisted one of their oil caps..

You should see all the high priced so called racing oils ranking near the bottom. To each is own to decide.

do a google search on the 540rat guy before you trust him blindly...

He even admits that his testing does not simulate what's going on in a running engine.