Originally Posted by BradH
[quote=BradH]

I think the installation tool is a better approach than driving in the bushing with an intermediate shaft alone. Seems like not using the tool to stabilize the driver in the distributor opening is more likely to result in the bushing not going in straight, which means the shaft won't be truly parallel to the bushing's inner surface, thus wearing it out faster.

Trust me on using a stock used oil pump drive gear and shaft to install the bushing, it flat works great up
I've install hundreds of them that way with no bad results, so far luck whistling
Take a look at the bushings, all the ones I've installed have a taper on the oil pump end and a relief around the flange on top so the taper helps center the bushing to start with and after it is in 1/4 to 1/2 inch it is going in straight, the flange protect the inner bushing from collapsing and interfering on the clearances like I use to have happen when I drove them in with a bronze drift only tsk
If you wanted to use a long bolt or a piece of althread to suck the bushing in with nuts and flat washers that will work also work shruggy
Lots of choices on this up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)