I just want to put it back together and feel confident- I’m not really sure why this happened unless I just didn’t properly torque the rear bolt in the first place.
that'd be my guess (it happens to all of us at one time or another). To do lifters to the nth degree (which I do now after my recent lifter fiascoes!) is take em apart & clean thoroughly then reassemble dry then install em & set preload individually if I have adjustable rockers & if not then I before hand on mockup individually checked preload (it should be about the same on all of em but cant assume anything for everything being the same length/dimention) then get #1 cyl to 15 BTDC compression then preoil. I also toss the flimsy clips & use hardware store 11/16 internal snap rings in their place & a guy said to have the sharp edge side down which I thought was backwards but I am going with what he said. It might be better to lightly lube internals with WD40 as opposed to dry & I am open to changeing that but that is where I am at now. Holler how it turns out

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth