Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
Typos are fairly common.

What have you found here?

Well, I’ll tell you, Barry. But you have to promise me you won’t publish this vin number, turn it over to the FBI, CIA,ATF, DEA, SS, IRS,or the KKK. LOL! Seriously, I have a customer that bought a 70 RR at an auction. She has lots of cars, but this is her favorite. It’s a real FC7, white int, 383, 4 speed with a Air grabber. She had some electrical problems that were fixed poorly, an overhaul done but a local hack mechanic and some other poorly done work. It’s a fairly nice showing car with some minor rust coming back , but a fun driver. She is most proud of the fact it is “ matching numbers” and mentioned it constantly. Well, I put it on the lift and found all the mechanical problems and found the numbers on the trans that matched the vin but when I looked at the motor, it was stamped with the correct numbers but the plant code was a B instead of the G it should be. It was oblivious to me right off that the fonts were incorrect and someone had milled the pad and restamped the block. I guess they were not used to faking St. Louis cars and did not have G stamp. Lol! Anyway, she was heartbroken. You would have thought I’d just ran over her dog or something. I assured her the car was real ,but it was obvious to me it had been raced and the motor replaced at some time. This misconception that the Chevy people have created that if it’s not “matching number” it’s not a real car is ridiculous. Most people don’t even know the difference or how to tell. I gave up with local car shows people asking if my AAR is matching numbers or “does it have a Hemi in it” questions. I just says yes, anymore.

Anyway, this leads me to thinking about some of the 4 speeds I have collected. Since they are only stamped with the partial vin how could you tell exactly which ONE car they came out of. Could it be a possiblility they may “ match “ more than one car?
Guess I need to list all the ones I have so we can investigate.