For a stock 383, the Crower 267HDP is the real deal. P/N 32241. It's as big as I'd want to go on a stock 383 which is, as stated above, notoriously easy to overcam.

There are others but this is one that works. Crower online catalog page 98.

I absolutely love how everyone says get someone to spec the cam for you. And then we find out that same someone has already suggested three off-the-shelf grinds. What he does is use his experience and then looks up the available cams. If there isn't one to his liking, he looks up the lobe numbers in the Comp lobe catalog and calls in the order. Comp will grind one just for you the same way, and it doesn't cost much more, if any, than a shelf cam. So will Bullet, and many many other cam grinders. But the guys who give advice are not inventing new lobes, they are just specifying something that they "know" will work.

There is no magic in specifying a cam for a stock 383 Mopar engine. The range of optimum durations at 50 and LSAs is well-covered by the aftermarket. There must be 20 camshafts by different grinders that will work nearly identically in that engine.

I think the most important function of someone like Fast68 in picking a run of the mill usage cam is preventing the buyer from buying too big a cam. In the long run, that is a pretty important function, seeing how most of us are living by More's Law:

If some is good,
More's better, and,
Too much is just right!

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 02/08/19 06:35 PM.