Moparts

Looking for some Cam Advice

Posted By: blonby

Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/06/19 06:13 AM

Hello to all
I have a 1970 bb 383 Charger with stock manifold and a Edelbrock 750 holley Probably 9 to 1. Stock iron heads. 3.23 or 3.55 rear gears. 727 for a trans.
Last year lost the cam so I bought a Edelbrock Performer manifold for it and looking to hear suggestions on what cam to go with ( not a roller )
I was also thinking of a holley ultra lite or a quick fuel 750..
This is a street car that we sometimes drive on freeway. Looking for a good sounding cam that will work well... Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Looking for some Cam Adviceo - 02/06/19 07:28 AM

Welcome here. I would suggest one of the Summit house brand BB cams (2 choices, near stock or a hair above that) OR get a hold of Dwayne (fast68plymouth) a member here
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Looking for some Cam Adviceo - 02/06/19 01:57 PM

I would caution against over camming your 9:1, 3.23 gear, auto 383. what "sounds good" may not drive good.
Posted By: Belvedere2

Re: Looking for some Cam Adviceo - 02/06/19 03:31 PM

Just contact Dwayne as Robert suggested.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Looking for some Cam Adviceo - 02/06/19 04:15 PM

Good suggestions on the cam have already been made. And you have an intake that will work for your combo. As to the carb, that subject has been beat to death on here. Do a search and you will find plenty of threads.

For a mild street big block like yours, I have had the best success with the new Street Demons. The 625 would likely be the best size.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/street-demon-750-carb-review/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNAlVFtUFL4
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Looking for some Cam Adviceo - 02/06/19 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By lewtot184
I would caution against over camming your 9:1, 3.23 gear, auto 383. what "sounds good" may not drive good.

Wise words.
Posted By: rss

Re: Looking for some Cam Adviceo - 02/06/19 07:44 PM

I will second Rapid Robert's suggestion to contact Dwayne Porter. I have a custom grind that Dwayne picked out for my mild 383 build, and I am very happy with it. My application is similar to yours using manifolds, but I'm at 9.5:1 compression with 3.91 gears in an e-body. Cost was a little bit more than something off the shelf, but the extra cost was mostly for having the cam nitrided for extra durability.

FWIW, my cam is 226/231 duration at 0.50" lift, 0.481/0.480 lift, 113 LSA.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/06/19 09:22 PM

Instead of ending up with a dozen or more suggestions,get in touch with a reputable can vendor,give them all you information and intended usage and go from there ! twocents

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/06/19 11:08 PM

I got in contact with Dewayne and he mentioned Comp 268h, 270h, xe268, etc.

I am not really that familiar with Cam's can someone help me understand so that I can find the part number and look up this cam he suggested and buy it please...

Thank you
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 12:16 AM

www.compcams.com
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 12:28 AM

here is the 270h

https://www.manciniracing.com/bigblmahycam4.html
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By blonby
I got in contact with Dewayne and he mentioned Comp 268h, 270h, xe268, etc.

I am not really that familiar with Cam's can someone help me understand so that I can find the part number and look up this cam he suggested and buy it please...

Thank you
I've used the comp cams 21-305-4 (magnum replacement) in 440's before. thought it was a little too torquey for a 440 but might be the ticket for a 383. the comp cams 276/.464 lobe (single pattern) on a 112lsa might be torquey enough. coupled with the proper spring should be trouble free and work ok with stock rockers. retainer to guide clearance is an issue with stock heads so be careful. stock magnum springs won't take much lift.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 01:11 AM

The best thing about this post is:
I never knew that (fast68plymouth) was Dwayne Porter!!

Good man and very helpful.
Ron

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 01:19 AM

I agree as I am talking with him right now smile
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 03:35 AM

what about the crower 271HDP ?

there is something about Crower grinds that I like a lot!!! ( per specs, not experience ). Personally I have the 282HDP which is somehow an "Hemi grind" modern version. I was initially to use the Purple 280/.474

https://www.crower.com/camshafts/mopar-350-440-b-compu-pro-hydraulic-cam-271-hdp.html

Or maybe 267HDP, one step lower

https://www.crower.com/camshafts/mopar-350-440-b-compu-pro-hydraulic-cam-267-hdp.html

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 04:24 PM

I got the Comp Cam 270h part number 21-306-4....Thanks Dewayne
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/07/19 11:08 PM

Comp XE268H is basically the default 383 street cam.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/08/19 10:32 PM

For a stock 383, the Crower 267HDP is the real deal. P/N 32241. It's as big as I'd want to go on a stock 383 which is, as stated above, notoriously easy to overcam.

There are others but this is one that works. Crower online catalog page 98.

I absolutely love how everyone says get someone to spec the cam for you. And then we find out that same someone has already suggested three off-the-shelf grinds. What he does is use his experience and then looks up the available cams. If there isn't one to his liking, he looks up the lobe numbers in the Comp lobe catalog and calls in the order. Comp will grind one just for you the same way, and it doesn't cost much more, if any, than a shelf cam. So will Bullet, and many many other cam grinders. But the guys who give advice are not inventing new lobes, they are just specifying something that they "know" will work.

There is no magic in specifying a cam for a stock 383 Mopar engine. The range of optimum durations at 50 and LSAs is well-covered by the aftermarket. There must be 20 camshafts by different grinders that will work nearly identically in that engine.

I think the most important function of someone like Fast68 in picking a run of the mill usage cam is preventing the buyer from buying too big a cam. In the long run, that is a pretty important function, seeing how most of us are living by More's Law:

If some is good,
More's better, and,
Too much is just right!

R.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/09/19 02:25 AM

Well said up

Another important consideration is the skill level of the installer.

You can look a little farther outside the box if the installer is good at tuning and working through other possible fitment issues that might arise(needs different springs, pushrods, etc).
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/09/19 05:21 PM

The real benefit of calling Dwayne for a cam is his personalized service. He will take the time to discuss with you all of your options, listen to what is important to the buyer in terms of their goals and all the other supporting components, and then he will give you an educated suggestion based on years of experience and dyno testing. To me, this is well worth the extra money, which isn't that much. I know I can call comp myself (or pick one from a catalog) and save a few bucks, but i guarantee a Comp rep is not basing their recommendations on years of hands on experiences like Dwayne.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/09/19 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By NachoRT74
what about the crower 271HDP ?

there is something about Crower grinds that I like a lot!!! ( per specs, not experience ). Personally I have the 282HDP which is somehow an "Hemi grind" modern version. I was initially to use the Purple 280/.474

https://www.crower.com/camshafts/mopar-350-440-b-compu-pro-hydraulic-cam-271-hdp.html

Or maybe 267HDP, one step lower

https://www.crower.com/camshafts/mopar-350-440-b-compu-pro-hydraulic-cam-267-hdp.html

I have a Crower 271HDP in a near stock 383. It really needs a slightly higher stall converter than stock. It seemed a bit soft below 2,500 RPM but that is at my 5,000+ ft altifude. At sea level it might be better. I thought it was just too much of a comprimise cam. Just slightly too big hurting low end (with stock converter) and although it pulled smooth from 3,000-6,000 it did not pull as hard as something like the Mopar 284/0.484" cam. I never tried advancing the cam which should have helped the low end torque. I may try that in the future as the engine is on the stand, and I was going to put some closed chamber heads on it to get more compression.

If I was looking for a cam to work with the stock converter, gear, compression and such then I would keep it mild and use something like the Hughes SEH1620BL cam.

On the 383, if you want to use a large cam, be careful with using the Speed Pro / Sealed Power L-2315 piston as they don't have any valve reliefs. Also, with greater than 0.500+ cam lift, might want to use adjustable rocker arms.
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/09/19 09:02 PM

well maybe, you are the experts smile ... the 282HDP I have is on a 451 stroker with 175K MP converter
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Looking for some Cam Advice - 02/10/19 06:41 PM

I suggest Bullet cams, great guys to talk to!
© 2024 Moparts Forums