I fit the cam button the other night and cleaned the exterior of the block with some DX579 + rinsed and silicone sprayed it so it wouldn't rust... and got out the old camera, tripod and the new budget lighting.

This camera has noticeably lower resolution than the phone, I am kind of shocked I can see the difference between 6 megapixels and 8, but even with that it still seems overall pic quality just improved a little bit. I have another camera to try later that will probably really do the trick. Maybe I will do a "STAGE II" post later with pictures that aren't so ugly.

Having painted my last two engines (a 440 and a 5.7) with Mopar Performance Turquoise, then the one before that with PPG3116 orange/spray gun all with nice results, I decided I want to try
VHT SP120 Orange on this one and will also be using primer for the first time as well. The dx579 lightly etches the surface(it's phosphoric acid based)so that should help quality.

After all these years, cam buttons still aren't really standardized. I tried a Lunati and a Comp this time. The Lunati roller's center ring fit in the cam gear perfectly, but the button needed to be cut down and it's steel...Or the timing cover needed to be dented outward...I wasn't willing. The Comp nylon was super easy to cut down (and needed it), but the center ring was too big to fit into a Comp timing gear by .050 or so. Ended up making the nylon one work. I've also used the diamond roller button earlier on the 451, it's pretty good but like so many other performance parts it doesn't really just 'fit' either without a little effort.

DSC00947.JPGDSC00944.JPGDSC00942.JPG

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri