Years and years ago I had a '66 GT Dart with a 9375 out of the box dominator and a 528 wedge. It run and I drove the car, but had some problems with the plug life. And the engine always felt a little lazy or "heavy" with the throttle response. It run well at full throttle though running 10.0's in the 1/4.

Then a friend of mine wanted to borrow the car, trying to get it in to 9's. He made some changes, used race gas, removed the exhaust and most importantly changed the carb. It was one out of a pro stocker tunnel ram and with the change the engine changed like night and day. It had a very crisp throttle response, a totally diffrent animal. He didn't get the 9 though, running 0.05 under my best so far and ending with 10.002..

Anyway, the carb was built by Chuck Nuytten, so I contacted him and asked if he could make me a pro street dominator, which he did. Probably one of my best purchases, got the crisp throttle response, great mileage, clean plugs etc etc. Got over 11 mpg on the highway and about 8 in the city. Doesn't sound like much, but the car had 4.10 gears and the engine was dynoed making 780 hp.

So, it definitely can be done.

Plynouth VIP '67 TT IC EFI