Moparts

Can you make a Dominator carb streetable?

Posted By: GY3

Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 03:40 AM

shruggy
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 03:50 AM

Yes up
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 04:07 AM

Having a big engine helps but you're opening up a lot of throttle area so low speed response is always going to be a bit iffy. A lightweight car with stiff gears will help of course. A big cam is going to make the low speed throttle response even worse and of course, most people who put a Dominator on a street car also use a big cam.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 04:11 AM

How streetable you need it?

Here is my Street car with a 1250 on it.....Can't drive it in the winter though...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk&t=18s
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 04:14 AM

I actually feel that they’re easier to dial in for street duty when the cam is on the big side(lower engine vacuum), since that’s what the low speed circuits are designed to be used with.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
I actually feel that they’re easier to dial in for street duty when the cam is on the big side(lower engine vacuum), since that’s what the low speed circuits are designed to be used with.
iagree up
I like to use one of the original non HP list # 9375 for a single plane intake on the street and at the track up scope
I due lean down the transition circuit to keep the motor happy(spark plugs clean) and not real fat at part throttle cruise up scope
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 04:33 AM

You need to get thumped! wave
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 04:31 PM

Yes. Pro Systems did a great job w/ mine.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 04:46 PM

I have ran Dominators on my mostly street cars for over 15 years. No difference in driving quality vs a 4150 when set up right. And Thumper is the man to do that.

If your combo needs/wants that much carb, there is no reason not to.

drive
Posted By: jwb123

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 06:04 PM

If you can find one reasonable, the original nascar dominators had a choke. Many years ago I ran one of them on the street and it worked as good as any carb. Never tried a newer style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Holley-4575...B-/182382372125
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 06:17 PM

Make sure its 3 circuit.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By dthemi
Make sure its 3 circuit.

I'd never recommend a 3 circuit for the street. You can kill an engine on a short freeway drive with a 3 circuit. Driving at part throttle with the manifold vacuum under the throttle blade sucking fuel right out of the intermediate dump tubes will wash the cylinders and stick the rings. I've seen customers over the years destroy expensive engines doing that.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Make sure its 3 circuit.

I'd never recommend a 3 circuit for the street. You can kill an engine on a short freeway drive with a 3 circuit. Driving at part throttle with the manifold vacuum under the throttle blade sucking fuel right out of the intermediate dump tubes will wash the cylinders and stick the rings. I've seen customers over the years destroy expensive engines doing that.
iagree
That is why I lean down the transition and idle circuits to prevent them being way to rich at light part throttle cruise on the street scope Dominic, Thumper Dart,760-900-3895, can fix them up for anyone wanting to drive a 3 circuit on the street up
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 08:00 PM

FWIW...My Pro Systems 1200 cfm dominator is a 3 circuit carb. Granted it's obviously been modified, but the 3 circuit carbs can be made to work.
As delivered from Holley, the 3 circuit carbs are pig fat and run like crap at part throttle.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 08:07 PM

Quote:
As delivered from Holley, the 3 circuit carbs are pig fat and run like crap at part throttle.

Frankly.......... the ootb 2 circuits aren’t much better.
For truely street friendly manners, any of them are going to need some mods.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 08:16 PM

Absolutely! Call Dom at Thumpercarbs. Can find him on Facebook. He builds them weekly and is the best in the business in my opinion. I have one of his and it's the best carb I have ever owned.
Posted By: farmboy

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By mopar dave
Absolutely! Call Dom at Thumpercarbs. Can find him on Facebook. He builds them weekly and is the best in the business in my opinion. I have one of his and it's the best carb I have ever owned.

Ditto
Posted By: BradH

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Make sure its 3 circuit.

I'd never recommend a 3 circuit for the street...
iagree
... Dominic, Thumper Dart,760-900-3895, can fix them up for anyone wanting to drive a 3 circuit on the street up

Yeah, but they're not 3-circuits any longer once he's gone through 'em. laugh2

Anyone have experience w/ the HP-style 8082 1050? I'd heard that's more like the old-style 9375, in that it's a 2-circuit intended for a single 4-bbl application. It's not one of the fancy "new gen" billet series, though.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/22/19 11:47 PM

I'D bet he would get into the 10's with a thumperized tater! up

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By hemi-itis

Been 10's already...

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By GY3

Been 10's already...

Not w/o your bottle...
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 01:09 AM

popcorn

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 01:29 AM

With or without a power adder?I was thinking 10's on nutz work

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By BradH

Anyone have experience w/ the HP-style 8082 1050? I'd heard that's more like the old-style 9375, in that it's a 2-circuit intended for a single 4-bbl application. It's not one of the fancy "new gen" billet series, though.

I’ve run a few motors with them.
They didn’t really behave much differently on the dyno than a 3 circuit.

The part throttle, light load throttle position still had the blades below the 3rd circuit discharge tubes, and most of the part throttle richness is coming thru the transfer slots.

That’s having the motor at about 3000rpm with a 50hp load on it.

My old school pre-HP 9375 3 circuit has pretty nice low speed manners with some TS restrictors and a primary metering block that accommodates a PV so it can run smaller main jetting.

Those early ones have a huge hole for the air bleed on the 3rd circuit, so it’s not that much of a player.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 02:41 AM

I've had a bunch of different old style, non HP, 1050 CFM Dominators. I didn't try to tune the 8082 though and got rid of it to buy another List# 9375 up
I'm trying to remember another Holley 1050 CFM List number that I think may nave been 8086, 8680 or something close to that, I didn't like it either for foot brake drag racing down
I have tried and tested the later version HP-2 with the same List numbers and didn't like them either shruggy

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 02:47 AM

I’ve never run any ootb, as from Holley 4500 carb that I felt had “good” low speed manners.

I have however tested many of them where the a/f ratio is in the 7’s or 8’s at light part throttle operation.

That’s a little tough on plugs.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By GY3

Been 10's already...

Not w/o your bottle...

Did 100 mph in the 1/8th on a below sea level morning...Unfortunately at an 1/8 mile track. bawling

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By GY3
Originally Posted By GY3

Been 10's already...

Not w/o your bottle...

Did 100 mph in the 1/8th on a below sea level morning...Unfortunately at an 1/8 mile track. bawling

You're about 10.9x MPH, but I don't think you have 10.9x 60-ft times.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 03:51 AM

mine runs alright on the street for a daily , mine is the newer sportsman aluminium unit .
You will need to address T slot jetting , PVCR jetting and lower the idle feed restrictor .
A bit time consuming .
I did try an adapter - what a waste of time and money .
I feel , my experience , that whilst a 4500 is better than a 4150 if your heads are the restriction you may not see a big gain . I picked up more consistency with cnc stealths and 4500 carb/intake but less than a 1/10th . Put TF270s on and picked up just over 1/4 second , same intake and carb .
Oh and fuel consumption on street and strip went south with the 4500 , but I accept that trade off for the et and mph gain
Hey its a race car I drive daily

Tex
Posted By: humpty

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 08:01 AM

A ThumperCarbs 1050 Dominator on my 408 was worth 15hp on the dyno over an OOTB QF 950, but, picked up 6mph and .400 in the 1/4mi. Dom tests each carb and they are right when you get them. Mine got 15 mpg and cruised no problem. Excellent cold starts to boot. That carb is for sale - $1,000 + shipping. I am buying another for the new engine!

Attached picture 8CFCCB6C-585F-4983-8217-40ABCED1457F.png
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 08:48 AM

Years and years ago I had a '66 GT Dart with a 9375 out of the box dominator and a 528 wedge. It run and I drove the car, but had some problems with the plug life. And the engine always felt a little lazy or "heavy" with the throttle response. It run well at full throttle though running 10.0's in the 1/4.

Then a friend of mine wanted to borrow the car, trying to get it in to 9's. He made some changes, used race gas, removed the exhaust and most importantly changed the carb. It was one out of a pro stocker tunnel ram and with the change the engine changed like night and day. It had a very crisp throttle response, a totally diffrent animal. He didn't get the 9 though, running 0.05 under my best so far and ending with 10.002..

Anyway, the carb was built by Chuck Nuytten, so I contacted him and asked if he could make me a pro street dominator, which he did. Probably one of my best purchases, got the crisp throttle response, great mileage, clean plugs etc etc. Got over 11 mpg on the highway and about 8 in the city. Doesn't sound like much, but the car had 4.10 gears and the engine was dynoed making 780 hp.

So, it definitely can be done.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/23/19 04:40 PM

Ive run a 1050 on the street for at least 15 years.Idles a bit high with the radical cam and 12.5 pistons but runs good.Plugs stay clean and havent fouled any in years.Best plugs are NGKs in my opinion.Rocky
Posted By: 68 HEMI GTS

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/28/19 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Make sure its 3 circuit.

I'd never recommend a 3 circuit for the street...
iagree
... Dominic, Thumper Dart,760-900-3895, can fix them up for anyone wanting to drive a 3 circuit on the street up

Yeah, but they're not 3-circuits any longer once he's gone through 'em. laugh2

I’ve built a few 8082’s. Like stated they all need transfer slot restrictions. The newer ones have smaller ifr’s but they are in the high position. Old ones need to be converted to annular boosters. They are great carbs on 500 cubes on the street.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/28/19 03:47 AM

Depends on how streetable lol I ran this hemi with a roller and pair of worked 1050s on 93 pump gas on street. I loved it

Attached picture 2011-12-29_16.12.12.jpg

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/28/19 03:48 AM

Attached picture 2013-04-20 20.00.09.jpg
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/28/19 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By toplescuda
Depends on how streetable lol I ran this hemi with a roller and pair of worked 1050s on 93 pump gas on street. I loved it

2 carbs and 2 mags. Can't beat that!

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/28/19 03:26 PM

Well the "mags" were empty. A med 7al2 a crank trigger. 2 could
were used. The "mags" were just the pointer
Both did fire thou

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/28/19 03:29 PM

Attached picture Screenshot_2016-06-07-01-10-26-1.png
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/29/19 04:56 AM

I ran a pair of QFT 1150 Dominators on the street with no issue.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/29/19 05:57 AM

Well, all I can say is a 3 circuit has been many times over for me the only way to smooth out the transitions for part throttle, and smooth transition. Like someone else said transfer is the problem. Of course you have to work on every aspect of them no matter. You just run out of options with 2 circuit.

As for them gas washing cylinders driving them, that would for sure be an out of the ball park, out of wack carb.

Blowers, and 2 4 tunnel rams make them easier to manage for street driving. A single 4 is the hardest to make work smoothly. Softer signal makes them react more smoothly. Big signal on a single is great for the track but hard to soften on the street. Again, assuming we're talking about something with almost no vac.

The biggest disasters of Doms on the street, is when they're on small cam engines with tons of vac, that they don't belong on in the first place.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/29/19 05:33 PM

Quote:

The biggest disasters of Doms on the street, is when they're on small cam engines with tons of vac, that they don't belong on in the first place.

Exactly.

Can they be made to work on that application?
Sure....... just realize you’re way outside the box for what the carb was designed for........ so expect to have to mess with it.
Posted By: RobR

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/29/19 08:25 PM

My DaVinci dom (spider) runs like a champ..I drove it every where,never a problem...
Rob
Posted By: Mark Whitener

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/30/19 02:54 AM

A Dominator can be made to run very well on the street, even with a small cam. The big issue is what casting is it, when was it made, and where and how big the t-slots ended up. The best to use are the early non HP bodies that had the smallest t-slots. Also any that BLP put t-slot plugs in. And of course either an APD or BLP billet body. Some of the HP castings had slots in the wrong place or too big, they can be more difficult to get dialed in. Look for a casting with slots under .026 wide, and with the bottom of the slot at the top of a completely closed throttle blade. And make sure it has not been filed on, it is required on rare cases but makes it tough to get right at low speeds.

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/30/19 06:12 AM

Drilling holes in the blades help you stay off the transfers when they've been molested.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/30/19 10:32 AM

Drilling holes in the blades help you stay off the transfers when they've been molested.

That is my next move , just cannot get blades/rpm right . Frong ok , rear too far open
But dont want to play too much whilst waiting for my new 505,currently have 440

Tex

Re: Can you make a Dominator carb streetable? - 01/30/19 08:49 PM

I would, and do up restrict the idle fuel feed and transition fuel feed in the main body before drilling the throttle blades to lean the mixture out scope wrench twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums