Originally Posted By 67SATisfaction
Hey guys, thanks for looking.. this has prolly been asked a million times, right?

My brother loved track racing his bone stock '68 RR last year and is coming back this year for more... I've got a European sports car I track race, so I'm all set.. but I'm helping guide him in his first basic steps to improve..

up
Quote:

This is a 2.1mile road course with 18 turns and 450ft elevation change. Lots of braking and turning. I don't know his budget, but I know he has limited time to install the improvements before track day (his RR is in storage til two days before track day.."What Could Possibly Go Wrong?".. rolleyes ).

#1. Change the brake fluid. Valvoline's 'synthetic' is pretty good stuff.
#2 Check everything else over. Brake shoes, oil, tires, oil, etc.
#3 Have a good time.

Quote:

1. Tires. Currently 14" street radials.
- Buy a new set of 15" steel rims, he has decided on a set of grippier Cooper tires.

That's doable. Not sure how much difference in grip there will be. If it shortens the sidewall, gets more tread width, and maintains the load rating it should be a plus.
Package may weigh more. You should note that Scott Harvey recommended doubling up on the spiders of steel rims, at least for rally. There's a classic photo of the Chrysler France Hemi 'cuda with a broken ralley rim. A circle track rim like Basset makes might be stronger and lighter.
An aluminum rim with lots of cross sectional strength is worth looking into. ie styles torque thrust, mini-light, mag star, or 'ansen' slots.

Since he owns the 14s, maybe the new set of tires is dedicated to track rather try to make them dual purpose. wink

Quote:

2. Brakes. Currently stock drums, manual.
- He'd like to go with front discs, but with limited time to install and troubleshoot, I suggested a shop that offers high-perf linings for existing drum shoes. We can swap them in quickly. It'll put more heat to the drums, but willing to try it out.... See how it goes.

Bring some method of checking drum temps. See how much wear is on the ones on there from last outing, and if visible, the edge code. Rochester Brake and Clutch is worth talking with about linings and they can arc them too.
Tricky part is the car is inbetween street and track. Linings for racing with front drums will generally not be great for street. With the street tires, not sure the speeds and loads will be there for all out race linings. Besides the temperature range, how the linings feel to him - the release and grabbyiness - will be important to how comfortable and confident he feels with them.

Quote:

3. Suspension. Stock torsion and new OEM rear leaf springs.
- So far, just a slightly stiffer front sway to reduce oversteer. He's found a front sway he likes from Hotchkis (I like the FirmFeel front & rears on my '65. We each have our druthers).

Save and measure the original leafs. Important reference point and those may end up being better than a repop.
On track, definately increase that front roll resistance. If there had to be a choice, do that over the leafs. Use polyurethane end link bushings with heavier washers and sleeve.
Quote:

4. Shocks. No idea what he has now, but definitely plain street spec.
- I'm going to suggest he go with stiffer shocks, but I have no experience sourcing or spec'ing anything (I upgraded my '65 to Monroe GasMatics fronts and I forget what I put on the back, but they were yellow Monroes, a little stiffer). Any suggestions? I found Koni has a search function that lists some shocks for the RR.
</quote>
The good ones will be $$. With close to stock springs, the ones he has should be serve.
[quote]
5. Seating. Stock bench seat.
- We get thrown around a lot. I'm not sure what will help without changing out the bench. Are there belts that will hold us in better, that bolt in?

Does the car have the optional shoulder belt? That's not a quick and easy if not installed but would be good start.
Scroth claims to have a safe, DOT approved, 4 point harness. I've never felt fully confident in that claim, especially as a retrofit into one of our cars. But they've had it out for over 15 years so could be worth writing them.
My concerns are (a) riding up off the hips while driving. (b) no cross strap for the shoulder belts during a crash situation.
Quote:

Am I steering him OK? Anything else that might be easy, quick and reliable?

I think so.
A cheap freebee is to drop the nose a little and align for a little more agressive camber and caster. Use shoe polish if you don't have a pyrometer or time to use it at the track. The best specs will be dependent on the tire, and to some degree the car and driver.

Keep an occassional eye on the oil pressure. If it seems to keep dropping (relative to rpm) after water temperature has stabalized it may be getting hot enough during the sessions that a heavier grade will be needed to maintain viscosity. or it just may be oil return and pan control.