Originally Posted By hooziewhatsit
Originally Posted By a12rag
The electric vs ICE debate will rage on for years to come . . . after all, how do you generate electricity that you need to charge those batteries ??? How much $$$$ are you willing to pay per kwH to switch over to solar, or wind ???? . . .

I have and DO get in my car and drive for 12 hours to get through the mountains and to the west coast of Canada . . . one tank of fuel in my Journey can take me 850km (528miles) . . . yes, that is tough on the butt, however, I don't see electric vehicle that will do that today ! Not to mention it only takes about 8-10min to fill the tank and be ready for another 850km !!! . . . SLOW transition that does not take HUGE investment from government subsidies. . . . just saying !!! . . . battery technology is not there yet. Not to mention, what happens when it is MINUS 30 C up here in winter . . . lose lots of range just to the cold (gotta run that electric heater and blower motor off something . . . ) . . .

With all that said, YAY for lower gas prices for now !!! . . .

Sorry, rant off . . .

The interesting thing will be if people will want to pay more to get their power from coal. whistling

https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-and-levelized-cost-of-storage-2018/

It sounds like you're not a good candidate for an EV if you make that trip with any frequency.

This is pretty neat site to play with longer routes and charging times/locations.
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/

The longest trip we normally do is 275 miles to my parents. That site recommends a ~5 minute charge at the half way point.

Well, I can see the flip side . . . I work in the electrical industry, I KNOW how the electric motors build torque right from 0 rpm, and the performance that can be had !!! . . . I keep track of my daily mileage for work (company car), and most days are 25 - 90 miles/day . . . so yeah, an electric car would meet those needs. But !!! . . . I like to travel LONG distance for car shows, swap meets, visiting, etc ... so having a "city electric car" and then something else (gas powered) for long trips, makes no sense to me . . .