I wouldn't be surprised if that goal is technically achievable. That being said, the internal combustion engine is far from its deathbed, and will still be around for some time.
The biggest issue I see with electric vehicles is the infrastructure needed to support them. As it is, if there are a few Teslas or Leafs in a neighborhood, no issue. But if every house has one or two, big problem. Our power grid doesn't even begin to have the capability to support millions of cars being plugged in to recharge every evening!
Some companies have put a few charging station spaces in their lots for electric car owning employees, some stores and municipal lots have done the same, but who has the budget to equip their entire lots that way, or pay the electric bill if they did?
Nor do we have much in the way to support the needs of millions of vehicles on the highway needing to recharge every 300 or 400 miles. I know for over the highway trucks, there is talk that truck stops would be equipped to quickly swap out batteries rather than try to have them park at "supercharger stations" recharging.
But what would it cost to equip tens of thousands of truck stops to be able to charge big banks of batteries and swap fully charged ones into semis that pull in for "fuel" stops?
And once again, what kind of power grid will be required to have the capacity to handle that?
I'll be an idiot and stick with internal combustion until these issues are worked out!