Originally Posted By Locomotion
There are always priorities. Is durability more important, like a Dana 60, or the ability to fine-tune gear ratios for varying car weights for different classes and/or changing weather conditions and/or altitude with removable center sections?

EXACTLY. The 9 won that war decades ago because the guys who actually change axle ratios (and transmission ratios are changed nearly every run) like Pro Stock and Comp needed gear ratios that were every close in ratio. No one wanted to change D60 gears between rounds, so the 9 got the nod.

I don't remember the year but Pro Stock was squealing for a 4.00 ratio. They finally got it, and IIRC, after a year or two, that ratio became obsolete.

The average racer who tells me he changes his axle ratio at the track to tune for conditions is either a rare bird, or he's a liar. It just isn't done.

I will say I worked with a die hard braket race with a pocket full of money who kept several gear boxes in the trailer, all with different low gear sets. He would change a transmission to get the car better on the starting line if he thought he needed it. Then someone pointed out to him that the 2 step could be altered to almost the same affect.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston