Originally Posted By HotRodDave
Make sure the kick-down cable is adjusted properly, seems that as they wear they don't pull the lever back as far as they used to, almost every trans I re-build for these needs the cable tightened up to get it where it belongs afterwords. We also do it with a tranny service and most of them need to be a little tighter also. With a loose/worn setting it will let the trans shift a little earlier than it should as well as softer than it should, lots of worn tq flights shift way better after a trans service including band and cable adjustment and I always turn the line pressure screw about two turns more pressure to compensate for a little lost tension over the years. None of this makes higher than stock shift points but rather makes sure it is at least right before you go to altering things.

I agree with this. I have seen a trans guy overhaul a trans and then asked me why it still shifted to early and would even flare a bit on the 1-2 shift at light pedal application. I had to adjust the trans throttle pressure as it was to low (cable to loose). Once we adjusted the throttle pressure cable it worked fine.

From what I remember the only think the pinion factor did was set the speedo to be right and did not change trans shifting. You would set the tire size in RWD trucks in the ABS module as it used the RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti-lock Brake) module for the speedo as it used the speed sensor in the rear differential for the speedo. To have it read the right speed it had to have the right tire size programmed in the ABS module. I also remember if the customer put a tire size on that was not a selection in the ABS module then we had to set it by the tire revolutions per mile. It did not effect shifting of the trans as the trans would use the speed sensor in the trans output shaft housing to set gov pressure. Changing the actual tires to a different size can change the shifting but not setting the pinion factor in the ABS module. All trucks had the RWAL (rear ABS) standard on them. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 11/14/18 06:27 AM.