The front drums on our '65 Satellite are not advancing,

I've had them open and all the parts are there and moving freely, not binding, the advance gear rotates willingly.. the advance gears haven't been swapped side to side.

I've also compared the '65 to the fully functioning '67 drums I have and the major difference I notice is where the 'advance arm' touches the 'advance gear'...

The arm on my '67 engages the gear much lower down than on the '65, it easily catches a tooth on the gear to rotate it. The arm on the '65 is higher and "misses" grabbing a tooth to rotate the advance gear.

If I use my fingers to press on the '65 cable, simulating a brake advance situation, the arm just pops past the teeth without rotating the advance gear.

The same holds for both sides brakes.. OK, so far so good -

The length of the cable hooked to the arm and the upper pivot pin is what dictates the positioning of the arms on the gear... If the cable was longer, the arm would drop lower, and engage the teeth correctly.

I can't stretch the cable, I can't move the "eye" of the cable any better... so do I just go ahead and bend the 'arm' so that it moves lower on the gear to engage the teeth? That's kind of destructive, but I can't fathom what else to do.

What else might help move the arm down to engage the gear lower down where it grabs a tooth?

I've thought of filing the teeth not the advance gear to be sharper, but that won't do it.
I've lengthened the cable as far as possible.
Could there be an issue with the two shoes being swapped "lead and lag".. if you know what I mean? But I recall checking that against the '67 and they're identical.

What would you do?
Thank you,
- Art

Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 10/26/18 02:14 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle