I got word of Steve's passing as I was sitting in the Orlando airport on my way home from a great week in Disney with my family. I knew it was coming but still couldn't believe what I was reading. I was devastated and still am. It was one of my greatest wishes that Steve would make it to Carlisle one more time - I wanted to see him again and I really wanted him to be on hand for his induction into the Mopar Hall of Fame. He simply wasn't well enough frown

My brother and I were very fortunate to get a private tour of Steve's collection shortly before he got sick. It was a day I'll never forget! He was an incredible host and turned us loose for HOURS to do whatever we wanted. After drooling over the collection (he has WAY MORE than just the cars - he has more memorabilia than I've ever seen) he bought us lunch and then we hung out at his house on the hill of San Clemente overlooking the Pacific. I would've PAID to see that collection and I was planning to buy HIS lunch but he wouldn't hear of it.

There are lots of great stories about Steve but here's one of my favorites... At Carlisle about 5 years ago, Steve was looking at a Gremlin Survivor in the Car Corral. Yes, an AMC Gremlin. He said he kept looking at the car but wasn't sure about pulling the trigger and paying $10K for a Gremlin. He told me, "I've bought suits that cost more than this car"...and so he bought it. Steve had more money than most of us but he was never obnoxious about it. He was fortunate and he knew it. As someone else noted, he treated everyone with respect.

I still can't believe he's gone. It's going to be very bittersweet to see the RTS cars at MCACN this year. I know I'm going to get emotional seeing the cars without Steve there. But, as others have said, Steve always said that he was just the caretaker. How true...

Ed