Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
You're running a 550HP stick. I don't know why everyone thinks they are smarter than the thousands that have went before them and want to run an 8 3/4 or for that matter a stock 9 inch.
Spend a few thousand on your 8 3/4 beefing it up and changing the gear in it. Then when it breaks spend the $2k on a Dana 60 (better off an S60).
I just don't get why guys fight this after all these years.
What is the love for the 8 3/4?

Most race cars are nickel and dimed together and then the same for performance, if everyone that started out with 400 hp and didn't add a spool or limited slip to there 8 3/4 but jumped into a Dana instead. So if and when more power came along they would be bucks ahead?
Looking back that would have worked for me but some guys will run the same combination for thirty years and some are always looking for more. It's usually one motor combination that puts you over the practicality of the 8 3/4. It's never one part, drive shaft, might be time to look for room for more tire, better suspension, it's a never ending spiral of costs.
I know only a few racers that dont run on a very limited budget. So its nickel and dimed together and cry when it breaks.

As an edit: it has gotten easy to make power over the last twenty years, easy to overpower your chassis combination.

Have a great day
Iowan

"obsolete is neat"