Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Some of these "so called" engine builders scare the CRAP out of me.
iagree Me too shruggy
The first solid roller cam I bought and installed in a customers 1958 392 (300 motor originally with dual AFB quads and adjustable rocker arms boogie) stock hemi boat motor in a 18 ft. flat bottom Stevens V drive. It had a solid lifter cam in it before and would rev a little over 6000 RPM in gear on the water according to the customer, not so with the new Sig Erson solid roller race boat camshaft whiney
It wouldn't rev past 3000 RPM with that new cam install straight up dot to dot in the water in gear shock runaway
It revved like crazy in the boat out of the water confused
I had my wife take that cam back to Sig Erson three times to have them check it, they swore up and down it was okay runaway I had to wait 5 weeks for them to grind that cam as it was not a standard shelf cam they stock at their factory back then in 1971 work
They where not real helpful on solving the problem as long as I dealt with Sig Erson younger brother Babe Erson down
I had that motor in and out of the boat fives times and apart before finding out that the cam had been ground 10 degrees retarded runaway puke
I learned that from one of their older techs on the next to the last call to them when he taught me how to degree the cam on the lobe centers, it was a real eye opener up shruggy
They swore it wasn't their special ground expensive brand new cam shaft, it had to be the timing set or the crankshaft key way being ground in the wrong location and so on and on.
They ended up giving me a set of offset cam and crankshaft keyways to get it installed where the lobe centers should have been instead of replacing it with another new one ground properly whiney down
It was off on the cam card on the lobes a little bit, 2 to 5 degrees at .020 checking it on both intake and exhaust lobes so that should have been a good indicator it was ground wrong from day one to me realcrazy
That was my first experience with a solid roller cam and my last time I bought any Sig Erson products down
I have learned since then most problems with engines or with other things, end up helping me become better up

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 09/10/18 02:05 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)