Russell says you can use your original shifter but you have to put in some micro switches. This will make it compatible with the newer shifter "electronics" - his controler - to make it work.

Savoy, I went with a 42RH and strengthen it during the rebuild. They can handle a lot more power that way. The 42RH is smaller and uses less power to turn vs. 46RH. The 42RH also has a better gear spread (2.74 vs. 2.45 1st gear). 2nd gear slightly different as well with 3rd and OD being the same. If you are building a cruiser and around or under 400hp, I think this is the way to go. Look for in 93-94 dakotas, mine came from a V6. The V-8 42rh has a different drum to hold more clutches but if you can add that later. I didn't. I am not that knowledgeable so I upgraded everything I could.

I read a few times here in Moparts that you want a "10 to 1" ratio for first gear. A 2.74 first gear and a 3.55 in the diff gets you just about that. With the .69 OD, that brings the 3.55 down to a 2.45! Awesome for highway cruising.

I would have went for the NAG1 instead had I only the one project car to spend the bucks on.