We all know that the big blocks have a lot more power potential than the small blocks, but I've seen some small block stroker motors in the 408-426 CI range that really scream, edging around 500 HP and torque numbers around the same figure (I've even seen a few go as high as 600). Given that they're lighter and far less expensive than big blocks, I've had to at least reconsider the idea of using a small block stroker versus sticking with my plans to build a lightweight aluminum 440 stroker in my planned Challenger build. So, my question isn't about power levels so much as how do the two engine types deliver power to the ground differently, and how do they rev differently?

As I understand it (although I could be wrong, I'm still learning), the big blocks have a lot more low-end torque and you get a much larger kick in the pants than you would with a small block, whereas the small blocks have a more even torque delivery throughout the powerband which makes it easier to launch them without going sideways and boiling tires, and to have more consistent torque delivery throughout the RPM range, similar to the Gen 3 Hemis. Am I correct here? Or way off?

I'm also fairly sure that the small blocks rev higher and faster than the big blocks, topping out somewhere in the low 7k range versus the big blocks that top out around the mid to high 6k range. While revving faster could be an advantage, is it really a benefit to rev higher if your peak HP and torque numbers were a good ways below that?

I realize the SB vs BB debate has been going for a long while, but I just thought it might be fun to throw a little gasoline on the embers grin

Last edited by Spartan040; 06/20/18 09:10 PM.