I need some opinions here. I installed a NEW 6 pack setup on my 440 with nothing but grief with this pile of poo. I have have been fighting cold start, no idle, low vacuum, major lean conditions from the start. I thought everything was pointing towards a vacuum leak but I have looked for one numerous times and that doesn’t seem to be it. I did find the throttle blades were not centred in the center carb base shaft and would not fully close leaving the idle transfer slot wide open and have now resolved that problem. I have gone through the carbs twice now and have the float levels correct, timing correct all the usual stuff you adjust and have it idling nice now and responsive just cracking the throttle but when I was setting the total timing at 2600 I noticed the #7&8 cylinder header pipes started to turn cherry red after a minute. So my question is why are these 2 cylinders lean? At a steady throttle with no load what is feeding them? the rear carb? or are they still running on the center?
The only other unresolved issue is my left idle mixture screw is almost unsponsive whereas the right functions as it should. The left idle screw DID get better somewhat once I got the throttle blades closing up but it’s still not like it should be but I don’t see that affecting my rear cylinder lean problems.
I have the center jetted at 64 and 1.5 turns out on the bleeds right now and set the outboards by covering the idle air bleeds and setting the mixture so that there was no change in rpm covered or uncovered. That worked out with the front base idle screws out about 1.25 turns and the rear carb wanted them closed right off- but these are idle settings anyways so I don’t see that having any bearing on my lean part throttle issue anyways.....or am I wrong on that?