I went thru this getting the 440 whiplash to run

I have a stock TC 2.76 gears in a 4000lbs truck

what I did was get the fbo plate and lock the dist 0* and set timing to 36*

change the whole engine and became a street beast.

I tried 14* initial with plate on 18* light springs vac can or with out

sorta ran dies a lot/ temps go up at speed because late timing ect.. ran like a pig.

I used a holley street dominator (open plenum) new OOTB 750cfm edlebrock tunning** changed step up spring/ bumped the squitter up 1 size bumped 2ndary jets up 3 stages rich .113 jet

FYI..ididnt read all the post here but I have run 4 of the whiplash cams and they all want the most initial they can take and very little mech advance. they like a lot of gas so fatten up the carb.

I gave up on holley as I was not to good at tunning them.

but did learn about picking the power valve...as long as the throttle palates are not open to far it wont let gas thru port even though valve is open..

when choosing a # PV use a vac reading at a cruz speed and divide it in half.

mine was 20 inches at 55 mph so I went with a #10 pv it only has 10 inches to 7 inches at idle but does not flow fuel as the throttle blade are not at the transition slot yet.

edlbrock was way easy to tune with a vac gauge and watching the step up pistons at idle...change to weaker spring till they stopped bouncing at idle, upped the accel pump shot for off idle stumble, upped 2ndary jets to rid it of the transition bog of 2ndarys

only get 10 mpgs with 3.23sg but it fries the 29x15x15 M/Ts from a 15mph roll and flat out screams a 1/4 mile run.

once you get the timing dialed in and the carb fat enough it will work with a low stall TC 2.76 gears

I have a 900 rpm idle in N and drops to a 700 rpm idle in gear and has a nasty chop chop chop and a crispy snappy throttle.

my 318 roller whiplash has fbo plate- 14* initial with plate on 18* for 32* total.. MrGasket light springs - no vac advance hooked up.

junky did the 383 whiplash and had to recurve dist and fatten up the 750 holley then it became a street beast also.

very frustrating till I figured it out with the 0* lock out