Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
I haven't seen many replies about compression ratio shruggy I run close to 11-1 compression on pump gas so I wouldn't want anything over 34 degrees timing EVER on my engine. I wouldn't recommend any type of advance until we get all the engine specs.
40-45 degrees of advance would cause some major detonation on a high compression street/strip engine. That's where the caps start walking and the cracks start opening up twocents

Gus beer

That's a good point about the comp ratio as I run on 92 pump with 10.6 comp. But I do know an engine will take much more timing at part throttle without the eng under much of a load like when cruising along on a level road. If the eng is at 1/2 or more throttle pulling a load it wont take as much timing and the vacuum will drop some when the eng is under a load to limit the vacuum advance as per when there is no load on the eng.

Myself I run a Mallory race dist that I got at a great price and it has no vacuum advance on it. I run a very fast mech advance as I idle at about 24 degrees and have my full 36 degrees by about 1800 rpm. It has no ping ever and runs great for me. Does not overheat and has great throttle response. That works very good in my eng combo that has good .045 quench I built in it and it has 10.6 comp with aluminum heads. Also my custom grind cam from Dwayne Porter has the intake closing point to also keep my cylinder pressure from being to high and it works great in my combo on 92 pump. Ron