Originally Posted By scratchnfotraction
I followed the tips in the Book from Don at FBO I use one of the mech advance plates.

I set my base timing at 14* with the mech advance 18* - 32* total. 88-440 truck-whiplash cam 230/245 @.050 .518/.518 with the edelbrock RPM duel plane intake....running the holley 440 STREET dominator single plane intake I run the dist locked out on 0* timing set at 34* IIRC

I installed a new reman 318 1st of January. got a new stock replacement points dist. -ditched PCV for a evac system. -stock tbi roller cam/headers/q-jet.

set the timing at 10* adjusted carb A/F ratio with vac gauge for highest reading re-adjusting curb idle to 750 rpm.

hooked can up to full vac port on carb and that raised curb idle but cleaned up the idle and very smooth. re-adjusted to the 750 rpm.

nice smooth daily driver 16.5 mpg no ping anywhere in the rpm range and have dropped back to 87 pump gas..still no ping under load.

after reading the book I understand it a little better. at first with the big lumpy cam I had no power and heated up driving.

once I got the initial timing advance to where the engine wanted it and limited the mech advance it tuned right up and became street friendly.

got to get the spark ahead of the slow burning pump gas so it all burns in the cyl not the exhaust tubes. it had killer exhaust fumes that had me thinking it was way rich but it was really going lean. which in the book it said this is cause by it burning all the oxygen and leaving the unburned fuel trying to burn as it goes out the exhaust tubes thus making the engine temp rise and header tubes glow red with lots of smelly fumes.

so after 20 yrs of ported vac with mostly stock cams/dist/daily driver junk I have them on full vac and very happy with the results set up this way.

this is the first time I have had a 318 on 87 pump gas not PING! over 1/2 throttle from a stop light in traffic running a 195* thermostat.

I have the same FBO complete system (with coil) on my 64 Belvedere's orig stock 383. PIA to get it to stop pinging at WOT. Don says my carb is too lean & I must use manifold vacuum. I don't know if the orig afb has manifold vacuum so he says to find a port on the intake. I tried adjusting the can & still no help. Might ditch the system & go back to the dual point with pertronix dizzy.