So I picked up this 65 D200 Sweptline truck from northern CA. Non-running, non-rolling, 318 4-speed. 4.10 Dana rear. Really clean truck bought from the original owner's daughter, it sat for 20+ years. It does need a driver’s side floor pan for sure due to leaky master cylinders, and maybe passenger side. But the steps and rockers are in really good shape, along with the rest of the body.

I have since free'd up the front brake drums to make it a roller, and after draining about 2 gallons of water and muck out of the engine, I replace the points and coil, got her fired up and did a motor flush treatment. Changed the oil again. Killed the Black Widow spider in the bellhousing, replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder and now have a clutch pedal.

My main goal is to be able to start it up and pull it in and out of the shop while I work on other projects.

My plans for the truck are a 4 wheel drive conversion, I’m thinking a Dana 44 front since I don’t do any heavy wheeling, unless I come across a Dana 60 front for a decent price. This will also get rid of the drum brakes in front. Not sure how this affects the steering, what modifications I will need to make. Will a Chevy Dana axle fit? Or are the springs too wide?

I want to make this a semi-daily driver, but I am having a hard time deciding on what drivetrain I should go with. I really want to keep it a manual trans, so an overdrive tranny is a must. I’m thinking NV4500, or 5600.

For the engine, I’m looking for opinions on which direction I should go. I kind of like the look of the wide 318 that is in there, but is rebuilding it a good option? Parts availability? Are headers and intake manifolds available?

383/440? Would I be able to get a bellhousing to put the 5-speed behind it?

5.2/5.9 Magnum? 5.7/6.4 Hemi?

4BT or 3.9 Cummins would be cool, I don’t think I want a 6BT Cummins, I don’t want to mod the firewall.

I would probably go with an EFI kit on the gas engine. I have used the FAST EZ-EFI before, and really liked it.

Everyone has an opinion, so does anyone have any info to sway me towards one of these options?

Sorry for the long post, and all the questions, and thank for any input.

65 402.jpg65 404.jpg