Originally Posted By rowin4
Originally Posted By SportF
I have brought this up before, if you weld (or just tack) on hardened steel it will more than likely break, in 6 months or so. Depending on the amount of heat, and time, it brittles, and failure is on its way.

That's pretty much true. Looking back , I bought these Strange axles back in 1975, No Twisting of the splines, never had to change the bearings . Thousands of wheels up 1/4 mile runs. I doubt if there going to snap off anytime soon.

When I bring this up, there is always stories of "I did this and nothing happened". This came about when I tack welded 10 studs to a hub. Of these, the heads popped off of 7, 6 months later. I talked with the metallurgist at work and he basically stated it will change the structure every time.

A couple of weeks later, I was talking to friend who tack welded the collar on his axels. I finished his sentence by saying "and the axles broke, right?" Which is what had happened.

Now, you can weld it, but its not a good idea. I didn't know it at the time, and just wanted to pass this along.