Moparts

Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs

Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 07:18 AM

I have Strange axles that need 5/8 studs, can it be done without super expensive tooling? Boring the holes is no problem but I'm concerned about tapping.

Steve
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 07:51 AM

What does Strange want to do it?

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall

I inquired about it via e mail and they suggested buying new axles.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By 72chrgrally

Of course they do.You might consider bringing your axles to a machine shop for precision.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 08:24 PM

If you go to a local machine shop make sure he knows what he will be working on. I specifically asked my machine shop if he could do the race axles and he said yes, he did them all the time. When I picked them up he told me about the tools he tore up trying to do the job. I told him that's explicitly why I asked if he could do the job. He said he did the round track axles all the time but mine were the first drag axles he had worked on. He did a good job and held to his cost estimate and I applaud him for that. I recommend letting the guy inspect the axles before he agrees to do the job.

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 08:48 PM

My good friend is a machinist and he told me cutting the holes wasn't an issue but he did not have a tap he was confidant in to cut the threads. I really don't want to buy a $300 tap to thread 10 holes.
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 10:50 PM

The axles are tough. I did them for Dwight after strange told him the same thing. Carbide tooling and a proper tap it can be done.
I think the tap was around $80
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 11:04 PM

I have Mark Williams axles years ago I broke the 1/2 studs I had, i sent them back to Mark Williams and had them redrill the axles and install 5/8 studs and haven`t had a problem since it wasn't expensive. Perhaps Strange could do it for you

Attached picture IMG_1068.PNG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/10/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By 72chrgrally

If thet wont do it send them over to Mark Williams
or on of the other axle companies.. dont bother to
try it yourself
wave

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/11/17 12:19 AM

I'll do some more research, a friend of mine has done his own axles in the past and he has a tap he claims will do the job. I'll let everyone know how it goes. If I end up needing to get axles I'll be narrowing my rear end another 2".
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/11/17 02:35 AM

Tried to machine Strange axles by hand one time, only one time. Many years ago. That job is listed in the Strange catalog as part #A1065 for $80.

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/11/17 05:31 AM

Just get the new stuff. If you screw them up they will be a hard sell. Just call it a Merry Christmas to me gift...
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/11/17 08:07 AM

I have Strange axles that I bought years ago for my Barracuda. Last year I found I broke 1 stud and bent the other 4 on one axle. As I had did business with Moser before I sent them to them to have the holes re drilled for 5/8 studs. Moser called and said the axle flanges were to hard to drill, they didn't know why. So I called Strange, they said ship them, they could do it. Called Moser, asked if they could ship the axles to Strange to avoid shipping back to me then reshipping to Strange, no problem. Moser called Strange and Strange told them they wouldn't accept them as I didn't have an account with them. I asked why that Strange didn't tell me that when I was talking to them? Moser asked Strange the same question and the guy got nasty . So I called Strange back, got an account set up to send the axles back to them. While I was on the phone I questioned again weather they could re drill / tap the hardened flanges. Answer was yes, continuing with the conversation , why don't you check with the machinist who does the work. He came back with [ As long as they haven't been welded on ] I replied that the bearing retainer ring was tack welded on from them. Then came the screaming. WE DON'T DO AXLES WITH BEARINGS ON THEM, [ Moser does ] YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THEM, IF WE DON'T LIKE THE WAY YOU CUT OFF THE RETAINER WE WON'T DO THEM AT ALL. I didn't say it but F U Strange. Called Moser back and just had them ship them back. Installed new ARP 1/2 studs. Moser took all the dimensions from my axles so if I need another set they WILL get the call.

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/11/17 07:37 PM

Part #A1065 says "Axles must be sent in with bearings and studs removed".

Strange says "Do NOT weld on an axle".

They won't touch an axle if either instruction is ignored. Doing anything to an axle that has been welded on, or that has been hacked up when the wedding ring is removed, and then sending it back, is a huge liability when the thing breaks.

Following instructions and sending them back to the guy who made them would have made it easy.
Posted By: SportF

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 02:02 AM

I have brought this up before, if you weld (or just tack) on hardened steel it will more than likely break, in 6 months or so. Depending on the amount of heat, and time, it brittles, and failure is on its way.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 02:27 AM

The pair of Strange axles that are in my car
right now have about a 1/4 turn of twist in
them.. all right near the splines(within
about a 1/2").. still going strong
wave

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 02:31 AM

I bought the axles, retaining axle plate and bearings installed from Strange. They tack welded the retainers on.

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 04:58 AM

Strange welded the wedding rings???

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 05:04 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Strange welded the wedding rings???

Yep
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 05:38 AM

No I don't think you should do it yourself. Also from some of the other posts didn't realize the flanges would be so hard. Its easy to drill and tap holes that look straight while your doing it to only find out that they are crooked once the stud is installed. Now add in a hardend flange with the need to use a even stronger tap.??? If you have to ask its probably not a job for you.

But if you feel up to the task, Try one hole first, if that turns out perfect, then proceed to the next. up

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted By SportF
I have brought this up before, if you weld (or just tack) on hardened steel it will more than likely break, in 6 months or so. Depending on the amount of heat, and time, it brittles, and failure is on its way.

That's pretty much true. Looking back , I bought these Strange axles back in 1975, No Twisting of the splines, never had to change the bearings . Thousands of wheels up 1/4 mile runs. I doubt if there going to snap off anytime soon.
Posted By: moparmitch

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 01:58 PM

I sent Moser axles back for 5/8 studs a couple of years ago and it was 80 bucks plus shipping. Just send them in, have it done, and move forward...
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By rowin4

That's pretty much true. Looking back , I bought these Strange axles back in 1975, No Twisting of the splines, never had to change the bearings . Thousands of wheels up 1/4 mile runs. I doubt if there going to snap off anytime soon.

I'd recommend the Moser option as well. As racers themselves, they are very customer oriented.

Anything can break eventually. I had a 2,850lb Challenger with a Dana 60 & 35 spline Strange axles. Car had very limited time with a 440/4 speed before I got it, but my combo was a 360/W-2/auto footbraking and running as fast as 10.22. I broke an axle after about 9 years of almost year-round twice per week racing here in Florida while doing well. I think I wore out a ring & pinion or two in that time as well!

I've used Moser axles in my 3,540lb+ Dart Sport for around 17 years, but have upgraded to lighter axles a few years ago. Never a problem with the axles. But I'm going to a Moser Dana 60 in it and my Aspen so I don't have to worry about the ring & pinion anymore. Easier to check too! With my less hectic schedule, it might be the last time I change anything with the rear besides fluid.
Posted By: SportF

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/12/17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By SportF

When I bring this up, there is always stories of "I did this and nothing happened". This came about when I tack welded 10 studs to a hub. Of these, the heads popped off of 7, 6 months later. I talked with the metallurgist at work and he basically stated it will change the structure every time.

A couple of weeks later, I was talking to friend who tack welded the collar on his axels. I finished his sentence by saying "and the axles broke, right?" Which is what had happened.

Now, you can weld it, but its not a good idea. I didn't know it at the time, and just wanted to pass this along.
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/13/17 03:14 AM

I had mine done at a machine shop. After breaking a few taps and realizing that the flange is very hard, i called Strange and they told me I needed to buy an X-O-Tin tap to do it. I bought it and we got it done, but if Moser will do it for $80, its a no brainer.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/13/17 04:05 PM

I wouldn't spend a dime w/ Strange. I've seen way more broken Strange parts than I have Moser, not to mention they are hard to deal with.

After a lot of asking around, I found the best thing to do was to send axles back to the manufacturer to get redrilled for bigger studs. Moser has great turnaround time and they don't require you to remove the bearing.
If you have strange axles, it sounds like you'd be better off to buy new axles from another manufacturer. twocents
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/14/17 05:16 AM

As far as I know, Moser isn't set up to re-drill/tap Strange or Mark Williams "race" axles.

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/14/17 08:05 AM

Looks like buying new or sending them back to the manufacturer... shruggy
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/18/17 01:17 AM

Well this is just great..... another one of those items I've blindly looked over. Guess I'm adding new axles along with the new rear disc brake. THANKS!! $$$

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 12/18/17 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Well this is just great..... another one of those items I've blindly looked over. Guess I'm adding new axles along with the new rear disc brake. THANKS!! $$$

I hear ya J body!

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/05/18 03:08 AM

well.... emailed Cass. He gave me contact info at Strange Engineering. Got ahold of them today. Got an RMA and shipped my axles off to them. $80 bucks for the 5/8ths machine work. I have the dual pattern 1/2" studs and it sounds like they will add a third pattern being the 5/8ths. I'll also buy the studs/spacers/lugs from them for some added cost.

I swear looking at my 1/2 studs there was a little bending going on.....

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/05/18 06:54 AM

You'll sleep better too! up

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/05/18 08:05 AM

well.... emailed Cass. He gave me contact info at Strange Engineering. Got ahold of them today. Got an RMA and shipped my axles off to them. $80 bucks for the 5/8ths machine work. I have the dual pattern 1/2" studs and it sounds like they will add a third pattern being the 5/8ths.

NO they won't add a 3rd bolt pattern. They will re-drill/tap one or both if requested of your existing bolt patterns. Did you request both? did you state which one you wanted?If you do both patterns you have a better choice of wheels , Chevy wheels are always cheeper than Mopar.

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/05/18 03:07 PM

Only getting my pattern done 5/8ths. (5x4.5) No wheels anytime soon... car is pretty much where we want it "as is". Don't care how they do it... just want it done.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/05/18 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By DoctorDiff
As far as I know, Moser isn't set up to re-drill/tap Strange or Mark Williams "race" axles.

Cass, I have a set of your axles in my dana. Would strange or anyone else be able/willing to install 5/8 studs?

FYI Your PM box is full.
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/05/18 07:32 PM

I had my Dutchmen axles re drilled from 1/2in to 5/8 by my local machine shop a few yrs back, any local competent or legit shop can handle.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/06/18 12:49 AM

well.... emailed Cass. He gave me contact info at Strange Engineering. Got ahold of them today. Got an RMA and shipped my axles off to them. $80 bucks for the 5/8ths machine work. I have the dual pattern 1/2" studs and it sounds like they will add a third pattern being the 5/8ths. I'll also buy the studs/spacers/lugs from them for some added cost.

I swear looking at my 1/2 studs there was a little bending going on.....

Great, who do you contact? I need a set done, maybe two sets.

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/06/18 01:59 AM

You'll sleep better too! up

put it right up there with a billet front drum on a 727.... it might not ever break, but if it does, it's going to do a WHOLE lotta damage!

As far as contact info Cass had messaged me an email for Jacob at SE. I emailed them asap on the 2nd and was immediately returned with an auto note that they would be back in the office the 3rd. Checked my phone throughout the day (3rd) and no reply. Got on there web site the morning of the 4th and filled out there online inquiry. Later that day I called and talked with Andrew. Told him what I needed, gave me my RMA number and I shipped my axles out. Later that day the inquiry I emailed was answered, so I simply replied that "Andrew" was taking care of things. I hate to be pushy about these things.... but it was an unforeseen interruption on my disc brake install. I "want" to go racing in about 4 weeks, and I "have" to go racing in March as I'm already preentered in the 60th annual March Meet at Famoso. I tend to drag my feet on stuff and don't need to be addressing this at the last minute.
Jay

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/06/18 04:06 AM

I can't see them taking more than two weeks back to your door. You'll make it.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/06/18 06:11 PM

I can't see them taking more than two weeks back to your door. You'll make it.
I would say that is a worse case senario, their turn around time is usually pretty quick.. I sent mine in for a shorten and respline and was back in less than that. up

Re: Re-drilling axles for 5/8" studs - 01/18/18 06:05 AM

well.... emailed Cass. He gave me contact info at Strange Engineering. Got ahold of them today. Got an RMA and shipped my axles off to them. $80 bucks for the 5/8ths machine work. I have the dual pattern 1/2" studs and it sounds like they will add a third pattern being the 5/8ths.

NO they won't add a 3rd bolt pattern. They will re-drill/tap one or both if requested of your existing bolt patterns. Did you request both? did you state which one you wanted?If you do both patterns you have a better choice of wheels , Chevy wheels are always cheeper than Mopar.

Got the axles back today.... and they did as they stated, added a third pattern for the 5/8 studs. Quick and painless... thanks Strange Engineering! Also purchased their stud kit so it was more than the original 80 bucks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums