Originally Posted By Dave Hall
I think we are missing the issue here a bit. The electronic log is the issue. I'm pretty sure that a dually and a 24' enclosed trailer are over the CDL limit but in California you are already paying for the pickup in reg. fees. If you get pulled over or a cop pulls up when you have a flat or something, I would tend to think that they don't care so much about a guy in a motor home or pickup traveling to or from an event. What they care about is where you are coming from and where you are going and how much time you are spending on the road. I recently went from California to Springfield Missouri in my dually for the Thanksgiving week. I saw two truck accidents. All I could tell is that the ops fell asleep. No other vehicles involved. It's the time behind the wheel that they are trying to regulate. Rightly so. Does anyone really want or need to drive more than 11 hours in a 24 hour period?

It's more than just the 11 hours it's the inflexibility of the rules". 14 hour work day...

Say I'm sick and need more rest.. or I didn't sleep well the prior night. If I nap within the first two hours of my shift that break doesn't count...I still am forced to take another 30 minutes between the fifth and eighth hour on duty. If I take a break between the second and fifth hour then I have to take a second break around the 11th "on duty" hour.

You can't stop the clock....say you crawl out of the sleeper at 5am to go to the track....you get there at nine. Your day starts at 5.... you get done racing at 5pm... you have 12 hours on the clock and it takes more than two hours to get home you have to take a 10 hour breakbefore you can get home! It's a mess.

Many drivers are forced to work terrible hours because you can't stop that clock... you must drive even if tired because you have to get your miles in before your break.

Cicadium rythems be damned... I don't give a rats *ss anymore... I sleep when I'm tired.

Last edited by Medlock51; 12/04/17 08:12 AM.