I worked at a Chrysler dealer and a lady bought a new dash for her 95 Dodge pick up....guess where the vin plate is riveted too. I called the Mo State Highway patrol and talked with the main vehicle inspector. Explained the situation with the dash replacement and vin being attached to the plastic dash and what was the proper legal thing to do with the vin plate. I was told in no way shape or form was anybody allowed to reattach that plate back to the vehicle. There is a form to fill out explaining why the vin was removed, don't you dare drill the rivits, then the vehicle has to be inspected by the highway patrol. The original vin plate is confiscated and destroyed and a new state issued vin is applied by the officer. Then you have to re title the vehicle at the DMV. It's the most stupid thing I've ever heard but that is how Missouri does it. I don't know why an officer can't just reattach the original vin plate other than the state can jack you for a bunch of money. And for those that like to live dangerously...it's a felony to remove the vin and reattach it.