Quote:

Ken, would you mind giving us your oiling system setup sometime? I think I recall that you're running the stock pump with 3/8 pickup but have full grooved mains and a high pressure spring? Unbushed lifters if I recall but blocked off left gallery? 30 weight? I'm still trying to figure out why I spun the rod bearing in my 383 stroker.

Andy- I run a full length dragster pan in the T-Bird because of low ground clearance with a single line swinging pick-up. In the Barracuda, where I have more room, I have used a Moroso pan with a fixed pick-up. The pump is always a stock (NAPA) with a standard pressure spring. I use 1/2 groove mains with all of my 511's. The lifter bores are never bushed and I don't restrict any oil galleys. In other words I run as close to a stock oiling system as you can get. I had a 499 toss a rod after only 4 runs a year ago which still puzzles me. That one appeared to have spun a rod bearing early on (#3). #6 was also on its way out but the rest of them looked fine. There was an issue with the Moroso pan & pick-up though. I had made one run with that pan on my T-Bird and it hit the ground hard past the finish line. It's possible that there was insufficient clearance between the pick-up and the bottom of the pan which had been caved in a bit. To make matters worse (REALLY DUMB!) I only had an oil pressure gauge under the hood. My son suggested that the engine should be making more power (only 146 mph in Super Street) but I just shrugged it off. For what its worth that engine had full groove mains because that's what I had laying around when I built it. I have been running all of my 511's (2.750 mains) with 1/2 groove bearings and stock oil pumps and the bearings look real good. The mains look MUCH better with the 1/2 groove then they ever did with the full groove type. I generally run 10-40 oil in cool weather and 20-50 in the summer. Oil pressure is typically 40-50 psi, hot, in gear, at idle.
P.S. With the 440, which had preceded the B-1's in the Cuda, I used a stock pan, pump & pick-up.
Here's the pan (at the track).

& the 440 (same day).

Last edited by B1Ken; 02/05/06 10:32 AM.