Originally Posted By skicker
I'm trying to picture where your screwing these longer studs in for guide studs...???
Last and every 8 3/4 I ever messed with the studs were pressed in with a knurl from the inside. 64 up anyway...
That means the pig is already out and on the ground again to get inside the housing to swap out the studs to longer ones...Sure will make fixing the leak easier... runaway
I understand most here have great intentions when offering advise...but damn...To someone whose never done this and is truly trying to learn he is unbelievably confused now... fan

Your right, I was wrong.

Been a while since I have swapped gears on a 8 3/4" rear and yea it would be tough to pull the factory studs to install longer ones and not worth it. I was thinking it used bolts like the last rear I did. I have done more 9" and truck rears than I have 8 3/4 lately.

I don't think the OP is confused as he just got done doing this so he is more in tune with the job right now than any of us right at the moment.

I do remember needing to have the car up high so I could muscle that 3rd member from my chest into the car more than once years ago.

Same with 4 speeds on my chest first then into the bell housing.
I have done a lot work at home years ago where I don't have a trans jack.

I still have few 8 3/4 laying around.