The problem with pulling the axle is if it hasn't been out in a long time you will probably break a bolt somewhere. Northern suspensions are rough to work on.

Also you will either have to remove or replace the brake line. Don't expect it to come out happy either. Then there are the E-brake cables too.

If the whole axle comes out you then have a momma pig to wrestle. I suggest wrestling the baby pig with the help of a friend or rented buddy from the local gym.

When I run into a situation like this I call it tool up time and buy more tools. Maybe a borrowed or harbor freight jack would help but CHOCK THE CRAP OUT OF THE FRONT WHEELS. no matter what you do. Like somebody said previously. Stand it on the nose and flip it in. Also if the exhaust is in the way a tie down strap often works wonders to pull them outta the way. Run the straps around the pipe and if you cant get a spot to grip to then open the doors go through the car and wrap it around the other side. Packs of 4 of the small tie downs linked together are cheap or one long 2.5 Inch one would work.

Hope it helps