My "formula" for wedges I suppose is a bit more conservative, what you see typically in Wedges (compared to Canted valves BBC/Cleveland Ford Derivatives and Hemis) is that the peak HP above the Torque peak tends to be a lower trajectory, which generally means the HP gains per each 100RPM above the torque peak climb at a lower rate....so to me Broad near-peak torque (as close to peak torque both above and below the peak) keeps the HP curve (if you think about it mathematically) stays more or less straight and linear until you use up the port flow. Even if your torque actual peak is 4900-5000 I'll bet it'll be very close to peak 500 rpm lower than that...is all I'm really saying. So again converter choice is in a way, a bit easier because you'll have a big/fat "sweet spot". Lenny did the converter for my buddy Nat's low-low 12 second 3800 pound 442" 401 AMC and was pretty dead-on. But again the torque is so flat, it's not hard to be happy unless you miss it WAY High or WAY low.

Wedges feel best and ET more consistently this way, and very nearly as quick...again my opinion only.

Peak or near peak torque also means near peak Volumetric efficiency....another way to say it is that high peak RPM horsepower has never been the strongest suit for Wedge Head/in-line valve motors...I think that's kinda why they make Hemis and Canted valve heads for the Higher RPM race motors. The best bolt on (non B1) BB wedge heads are still not as efficient HP makers as say a small block W5 style in terms of HP per port cc/cfm, but it's not because of the port or runner volume.... but rather its the limits of the BB Architecture,....the valve to deck angles (and related port turn radius) as well as the In-line valve placement not being on the centerline of the bores.

Cam looks to be in sweet spot where I would like it for your A body Fish. Lighter cars can get away with a bit more stall/flash all else being equal since they will act tighter at part throttle

Last edited by Streetwize; 05/17/17 05:11 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0