Understood. I recall your mentioning that HS's RR were closer to 1.55 ratio than normal 1.5. Also the spring seat shim used on these heads is almost paper thin, so likely .015 version. Did not remove to measure as did not wish to disturb valve seal. Did best I could using depth caliper.

This then would be significant if calculations to coil bind were close. Meaning that if a spring on a certain valve had passed the .060 safety margin based upon 1.5 ratio, it may fail and bind pif cacluated margin was at .060 based upon comp cams valve lift spec which is based upon a RR ratio of 1.5. Or in the case of where I had calculated .050 margin on a couple springs, perhaps I had let us say only a margin of ,040. Would have to do the math, but I get your point.

I do have an adjustable so called "test" solid lifter. Would it be recommended to test every cam lobe? That could prove formidable.

Perhaps simpler to merely replace all keepers with + ,050 version and lose a very modest amount of spring pressures and guarantee a significant safety margin. Even with stock keepers I collapsed only 3 known to this point(have not yet examined each of them) and that only after a couple thousand or so miles on them.

Very interestingly I did check number 6 exhaust today. This was the first collapse I experienced a couple of years ago, was unable to examine it as I had merely returned to Summit who had sent warranty replacement.

This valve using Comp Cams install height micrometer measure right at 1.80 inches. I had somewhat ran out of gas by this time so did not test spring etc. I plan to recheck install height on this valve again tomorrow.

As an aside, I had mentioned using a very tight fitting O ring to prevent valve from falling,,,in my case not too far as I have piston's very close to tdc. Also for keeping valve closed while installing spring and retainer. Had said that to remove this O ring when done, I had to snag it best I could with a dental pick and rip it out.

Occurred to me today to use 40 pound fishing line which I have in toolbox,,,a favorite go to tool,,,to loop around this O ring before placing ring on valve stem. Then once keepers are in place, merely pull this line hard enough to tear the O ring, or at least pull it out enough to snag easily with the dental pick and then tear it.

Still wonder if even must be removed.

With the tips on companion tdc piston sharing I got from Robert, Cab, Perfmachst and others,,,,I am now a firm believer that bringing piston to tdc is for me and my cautious paranoia the safest and effective way to remove valve springs with the head on engine. Pulling a head to retrieve a lost valve gives me nightmares thinking about it.

Thank you to all who have shared your extensive wisdom and experience in this quite convoluted journey. i hope it will help others down the road.

More to come.

Last edited by Sxrxrnr; 05/04/17 02:53 PM.