Originally Posted By BlackTiger
Thanks for the info. My understanding is the five year Ford engine warranty, the collapsible steering wheel, and the five mile an hour bumper law killed the Tiger. I thought the Barracuda took its place. Oh well, at least they made a few.

Barracuda was well into production by the time sunbeam was bought be Chrysler. Like 3+ years.

5 mph bumper didn't come into place until 1973? Or little later.

I thought they still sold the Sunbeam Alpine untill 1968. Just didn't have the V-8 in them.

The Chrysler small block has the distributor in the rear. The ford has it in the front. The Chrysler distributor in the rear was a major interference issue. Even with the Ford distributor in the front, the firewall had to be beat back to fit the Ford. And the Ford motor is more narrow too and altogether smaller package. And the Ford just barely fit.

I don't think Chrysler was interested in selling cars with a competitor engine. Can you blame them? And Chrysler dealership mechanics would have to learn Ford motors to support any new car warranty.

Now I like Sunbeam Tigers. But put yourself in 1968. That Alpine body is a very dated design in '68. It's a design from 1956 that didn't get built to 1959. IMHO it's design was a little dated in 1959.