As to the head gaskets - probably bought for resale a half dozen DOHC Caravans or PT's with blown head gaskets, some with as low as 60K on the odometer, some with 150K+. As with many aluminum headed/iron block combos - the different expansion rates simply wear the gasket out. Probably a "heat cycle" count, not so much a miles issue. The torque to yield bolts help, but eventually the gasket would fail. And a few of the dealers I deal with automatically service the head gasket/bolts/water pump/timing belt on trade-ins with more than 100K on them.

And as to the 2.4's power - at only 165 lb/ft of torque I think it's probably more of a lack of torque than power. They do make 150hp - at higher RPM's. The 210 or 245 lb-ft V-6's simply drive better. Admittedly, the 2.4's aren't that bad on level ground, but in hilly areas the trans is constantly shifting, trying to keep RPM's up - it's nowhere near as noticeable with the V-6's. On a similar note - I've had several Intrepids with the H.O. 3.5's and loved them - great power on flat ground. But put them in a hilly situation and they were very annoying - constantly looking for the proper gear. Probably just the nature of the higher RPM power curves of DOHC engines in general.

Don't get me wrong - the DOHC 2.4 isn't a horrible engine - just not my first choice. In a short w/b Caravan they would probably serve most people fine - on level terrain.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........