Originally Posted By jcc
Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
Originally Posted By jcc
I'm having a hard time accepting moisture entrapment of an oil filled sealed plastic container, to any amount, to be detrimental.

Well, believe it. Moisture permeation through High Density Polyethylene (the stuff oil containers are made of) is a known fact. Introduction of moisture causes the calcium (part of the detergent package) to drop out of suspension.

So the airborne moisture goes thru the plastic, but none of the oil comes out of the plastic, and once the moisture goes thru the plastic, it goes thruout the stagnant oil, and attacks/attaches to the calcium?
My loss, I'm just not there yet. eek

If for a simple test, if I immersed a sealed plastic oil container, I would see accelerated oil breakdown evidence?

It has a lot to do with molecule size. Oil is a HUGE hydrocarbon chain, whereas water is a simple 3 atom molecule. The holes in the plastic bottle are miniscule, and the amount of water that travels through it is ALMOST immeasurable, but rest assured, it is happening. Different bottle plastics will permeate at different rates, think ketchup bottle versus milk jug.

Easy example is a latex baloon. They will deflate naturally, as the air passes through the holes in the rubber molecules. Have you ever noticed how much faster a helium baloon deflates? It is because the helium atoms are TINY and pass through the holes much easier and faster. Mylar baloons will deflate much slower since the metallic surface has MUCH lower permeability compared to platic hydrocarbon chains.

Dang sciency stuff...

Last edited by 67Charger; 03/14/17 03:51 PM.

11.33 @ 118.46 on motor
10.75 @ 125.35 w/ a little spray
Now, high Speed Open Road Racing - Silver State Classic Challenge, Nevada Open Road Challenge, Big Bend Open Road Race
Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020, 2022 2.0, Sick Week 2023