I've aggressively driven a 4 wheel stock power drum, performance tired C body (as in drifting sideways on the highway at 140+) and an E body G machine with hydroboost assisted 13" discs with big sticky tires at 150+ that is run on road courses.
As long as the tires can hold the pavement, the brakes are fine. If the car skids - you have overpowered the tires and discs might give you better pedal feel but will skid the same tire just as easilly. Pretty simple physics there. Brakes can convert energy of motion to heat, but tires have to be able to manage that transition.
I agree with SuperC that most drum cars are not properly set or maintained. When they were being sold, four wheel drum cars were being adjusted 4-5 times a year and only driven 10K miles in the same time frame. I routinely have to readjust and balance customer's cars after driving them.
If your complaint is that your drum brakes lock up it may be your tires or an adjustment issue. Especially if the car turns as it brakes.
If your drum brakes fade from heat, you are using them too hard and should upgrade. Drum brakes are not good at repeated hard stops.
If you hit something and are in fear of hitting something else, pay better attention, think well ahead of where you are, slow down, or keep it parked. I assure you even supercars moving in parking lots hit stuff that pulls out in front of them. Impacts are not the result of a machine.

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.