Originally Posted By jcc
So pump was running approx 1/2? engine speed? How is proper pump speed calculated , or correctly verified once operational?

Rule of thumb for dry sump pumps is to run them at 57% of crank speed. I do not know where that rule comes from but you'll hear it from multiple vendors.

Peterson offers different pump widths so you can tailor the amount of volume from the pump. For example, if you are using the pump to build vacuum in the engine then you might want to spin it faster than 57% of crank speed. In that case you might want to use a low volume pump section so you aren't sending a bunch of oil thru the relief valve.

I use the narrowest possible pump section on my R4 pump and it still builds pressure with RPM. Watch the oil pressure on this dyno run and you can see what I'm saying. This is with the dry sump system and the oil pressure builds with RPM which tells you that the oil pump is big enough and/or the pump speed to too high. In my case I don't want to reduce the pump speed since I don't want to reduce pan vacuum and the oil pressure isn't too high so I leave it where it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zTAGAy081o