Originally Posted By GLR
I would like to use an in tank fuel pump in my 71 Charger I will be building. I am running a 383 with a six pack and I have a 3/8 fuel line. If anyone has a suggestion for a fuel pump or know of someone making a new tank with a pump, let me know. Thanks!

The problem you are going to have is that no one makes an intank pump that flows a significant volume of fuel at low pressure. There are some low volume, low pressure pumps out there, but they barely pump enough to feed a healthy carbureted motor.

You are going to have to run a return style regulator with a properly sized return line. Any pump that does flow enough fuel does it at high pressure. Sure you can use a high pressure pump with high flow, but it will be heating your fuel all the time it is running. Some of the higher volume, high pressure pumps put the equivalent amount of heat into the fuels as two 240 watt light bulbs would. That's significant, but a lot of people do it on their non-PWI fuel systems.

I've been mulling this issue over for several years, and have finally come up with a solution for a high volume system that can easily support over 700hp, and will keep the fuel cool and air free at the same time.

Since you have a stock tank and a six pack induction, you could consider doing this too. Cut open an access hole on the top of your tank to match a filler plate that will seal it once done, install a properly sized Holley Hydromat and a Fuel lab 40402 low pressure 2 speed pump in there. Plumb a 1/2" feed and return line to a return style regulator. Trigger the high speed pump voltage using a throttle shaft mounted switch that activates the high speed voltage to the pump when the outboards begin to open. Done. No special fuel tank, no ineffective baffles or sumps and a solid supply of cool, air free fuel even at very low fuel tank volumes.

EFI cars have it made, as they can use the same tank set-up with a Pulse Width Modulated EFI pump and no return. Sweet, effective and moderately price.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)