The serial number of my Challenger and likely all you all's Mopars is stamped on the cowl and as I recall near the radiator supports,,,perhaps other points. Dealing with this is a bit more complicated than popping on a repro vin plate.

IMHO this matter of matching numbers and original factory components has reached a point of irrelevance and has become just a bit farcical.. Corvettes in particular,,,however all marquees are almost as guilty,,,with their Bloomington, Duntov, and Top Flight awards being people's exhibit number one. Example, a perfect undetectable reproduction of a 67 Vette L 88 with all perfect documentation is worth let's say 125,000.00. One of the 20 so called 'real' ones might bring 3 to 4 million at auction,,,,and no one could be absolutely positive that the one they hold is not a clone,,,,and the 'real' one with the same vin is squelched away somewhere in someone's garage or buried elsewhere.

I would venture to suggest if one were to bring back 10 assembly line workers from the factories of any of makes that are at any concours where these 100 point cars are being showed, and ax them what they thought of how close to factory standard and original they appeared,,,when they were finished choking with laughter,,,they likely would all say, "we didn't build that". Somewhat at odds with the object of restoring the car to the standard of the moment it left the sssemly line. True perfect so called "survivors" get a pass on this. However even they have been successfully cloned as their subjective values have dramatically increased in some instances.

This all has certainly developed a cottage industry of counterfeit cars and Barrett Jackson auctions. There is not a car that has ever been built that some creative genius could not duplicate to such a degree of perfection that the most expert of experts could not be and likely have been fooled by.

Happens all the time in fine art and Korean and Iranian manufacturered hundred dollar bills, why not cars, they are far easier.

As some wag once stated: "Follow the money".